Thursday, September 27, 2007

My Secret Wish

Ok, first I have to start off by telling everyone that I feel EXTREMELY guilty for having this wish but it comes from a good place, I promise!

My secret wish is...that a major celebrity will have a child with Down Syndrome.

Once you have stopped gasping at the horror of my statement let me explain. I keep seeing things all over the place about Jenny McCarthy and her son with Autism and I keep thinking
"OMG how great would it be for DS to get that kind of exposure and help with awareness?" I really am coming from a good place on this, I want as many people as possible to understand DS so it can help with the discrimination and ignorance surrounding this disorder. What better way to do that than to have a celebrity as an advocate? A non-famous person like you or I can only do so much.

This is also coming from the recent lack of coverage on a fantastic feat by someone with DS. Karen Gaffney swam across Lake Tahoe, a 12 mile swim, in 6 hours! That is amazing and I have yet to see any national news program cover it. That to me is WRONG!!! She deserves a friggin parade as far as I am concerned!

Ok, vent/confession over.

2 comments:

Christina M said...

Hey There

There is some Formula 1 ( I know, not huge in the US, but big over here) who hasd a son with DS. I think there is someone on Scrubs - a guy - don't remember the name who has a dson with DS, it was a big article in People a while ago, cause the guy (the dad and actor) got married and his son was the ring carrier. Someonme in the senate just had a baby with DS too.

But I am with you - the more news coverage the better!

Christina M said...

I just thought of something that might make you feel better about your guilt... cause I secretely keep wishing (well at least kind of) that one of my friends would have a bonuschromosome baby...