Wednesday, August 27, 2008

WOW

This doesn't happen very often, but today I am overwhelmed with pride for...myself! Imagine that, but today was a day full of greatness. I took O this morning and went to pick up one of our 7 $1,000 checks from local Wal-Marts (they are now my favorite store). There were so many people there because it was a grand opening and they were all just gushing over O. I mean, how couldn't you? Then I went and dropped O off with M at work so he could show her off and then stay home with her the rest of the day (pink eye again).

Then at work I made a bunch of calls, sent a bunch of emails and made a lot happen. Got our local TV station to air the PSA for the Buddy Walk!!! Getting close to getting the local outdoor advertiser to put up digital billboards for the walk. And secured some more gift card donations.

While driving to pick up E, I heard our radio ad (that I made happen) and started to cry because I was so excited!! It was an amazing ad and if I wasn't personally involved I would have checked out their website! I am excited to hear the ads when they go into full swing in a week and a half.

Then I stopped on the way home (I could since I didnt have to rush from E pick up to O pick up) and picked up a bunch more donations. One of the ones I am most excited about is 4 gift certificates for free swimming lessons at the place we took E. I love the place and am really hoping I can win at least one to take O this fall with K and H.

A friend and co-worker is going to do a hoagie fundraiser for the Buddy Walk. My sister's school is going to donate some of their casual day money to the Buddy Walk, my friend K is going to do a Pampered Chef fundraiser, and in total I already have over $1000 in pledges for me as a walker.

Overall, I have gotten $20,000 in money for the Buddy Walk between corporate sponsorships, media donations, in-kind donations, and gift cards. If someone would have told me 13 months ago (which is exactly how long it has been since O's diagnosis) that I would have accomplished this, I would have told them there was no chance in he!! that I could accomplish something like this. It is so corny, but I think I have really found my calling and purpose in life.

I just wish I could find a way to do this for a decent living, because I have gotten way more happiness, satisfaction, and fulfillment out of these last 4 months than I ever have in my working career.

So, as I sit here, ready to go to bed (yes I am an old lady and go to bed early), I am just very happy with how my life has turned out. I never would have thought, 13 months ago, I could ever be this happy.

SIGH Time for bed. ;)

No comments: