I am not into politics AT ALL, but this time around I am so into it, it has become an obsession. Mostly because I am so interested and excited to see a woman on the ticket. But, more importantly because she has a 4 month old baby with Ds and man oh man is she proud of him!! She is a regular, down to earth woman with problems just like the rest of us. I didn't stay up late enough to watch her speech but I am reading through the transcript now and will watch it on the DVR when I get home. The part of her speech that stopped me in my tracks and made me burst into hysterical bawling was this...
"Sometimes even the greatest joys bring challenge. And children with special needs inspire a special love. To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters.
I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House."
Now, I don't know much yet about Palin's views on politics, but from what I have seen of her so far, she has me impressed with the kind of person she is. She is a strong woman that is dealing with way more than I think I could ever handle, and she is doing it with such grace and class!!! Sending a son to war, helping a daughter with an unexpected, teen pregnancy, dealing with the media attacks on her family, adjusting to life with a special needs child, and all of the tremendous pressure that running for office and the related scrutinty brings. She is just one tough cookie and I like her.
Now, will I vote for her? I am not sure yet. I don't know enough about any of the candidates to make that choice yet, but I know that she is the kind of person I think this country needs. I am not wild about her anti-abortion stance, I think every woman should be given the right to chose. I love that she thinks we should cut the insane spending going on in Washington. But, like I said, I need all the facts before my vote is cast.
1 comment:
Hi, jkjmom here from Downsyn--just wanted to pop by and check out your blog.
Good for you for getting all of the facts before making your decision about a candidate!
For a lot of people, merely liking a candidate is enough.
Even if she doesn't win, I do think we'll be seeing a lot more of Sarah Palin in the future. I look forward to having a strong advocate in the national political arena.
Post a Comment