Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Slacker

After a month of posts every day, I needed some time off. I had no idea the time would fly by so fast! It has been over a month since my last post, how did that happen?
Anyway, the newest thing here is going to be a huge shock, one of my kids has a rare condition! Go figure! O has been sick with a head cold for a while but it finally migrated to her chest, as it always does. Got her into the Dr right away and she was diagnosed with bronchitis and put on antibiotics and breathing treatments. After 5 days of antibiotics, she wasnt getting better so we took her back to the Dr. Sunday morning at our pediatrician's after hours office we met with a wonderful Dr. He sent her over to the ER to get some x-rays of her chest to see if it had progressed to pneumonia. After a while we got the results that it was in fact pneumonia. So you are probably thinking "um, rare condition my arse" but I assure you I haven't gotten to that yet.
After telling us that she has pneumonia, the Dr. says that they found something else on the x-ray. A hernia in the diapraghm, a very rare type of one to be exact (now you can stop being disappointed) called a Morgagni Diaphramatic Hernia. O will be the 19th case in the world of a child with Ds having this condition. She has had it since birth and somehow within the last 16 months no one has caught it but it needs to be surgically corrected as soon as the pneumonia is gone. Basically there is a big hole in her diaphraghm and part of her intestines are in her chest cavity instead of abdomen. The Dr. thinks this could be what has been causing all of her respritory problems.
So, we, or I should say I, proceeded to freak out. The thought of my tiny little girl needing surgery is enough to break my heart and force me to the verge of a nervous breakdown. Thinking about a Dr. cutting her open and playing around inside her near her lungs, vital arteries, stomach, etc. is scary.
But, we met with the Dr. yesterday and since then I have calmed down a bit. He seems extremely knowledgeable and confident that he can fix it without any long term issues. They can do the surgery at the hospital that is almost across the street from our house. That was an even bigger relief!
All in all I am beyond freaked out by the thought of my baby girl having surgery, but I know that she will be in capable hands and we have so many wonderful friends and family praying for her. The surgery is going to be on the 16th as long as the pneumonia is cleared up by then. And by the looks of her the last few days since being on the stronger antibiotic, I think she will be fine by Friday.
So, if you have a moment, please pray for our little girl for a safe surgery and speedy recovery.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Praying that everything goes well with your little one..*hugs* I know it must be very scary hearing that kind of news.