Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bittersweet day

Today is one of those days full of emotions where I just have to get it all down on paper (or into cyberspace at least).

O will be turning 2 in 25 days and I can't even believe it. how did the time go by so quickly? And she progressed at a slower rate than E did, but it still flew by. Unreal!

Anyway, onto the real topic of the post, why today is so bittersweet. O goes to a phenomenal daycare and they have certain guidelines for kids to progress from one room to another and even within groups in the rooms. O is currently in the Pre-toddler room for kids from 1-2 years. they typically move kids between rooms according to age, since skill set is usually right there with the age. Some of their requirements to move to the Toddler room (2-3 years) are...
  • walk up and down stairs holding one hand
  • walk all the time, no crawling
  • be able to self-serve and self-feed with utensils
  • drink from a take & toss type cup (no valve to spout)
  • eat at a regular table, in a regular chair
  • follow direction

Sounds easy, right? Well, when we heard this list about 6 weeks ago, we *knew* there was NO WAY O would be ready in time to move up with her peers. It hit like a ton of bricks that this will be her first "delay" with keeping up with her peers and that was a really hard pill to swallow. So, I went into "pitty me" mode for a day or so and then realized that sitting around moping wasn't going to get her anywhere. So, I started to harass the therapists and explain to them what our goals were for the next 6 weeks. They agreed that they were very aggressive goals, but helped us push her anyway. We worked on the stairs a lot, went and bought a table and chair set to help her get used to that, insisted that she use her utensils for dinner, only give her take & toss cups, etc.

And now, here I sit, reflecting on the last 6 weeks and realizing that my kid is a ROCK STAR!! She is doing all of that (in her own way of course) and more! Stairs are still a bit wobbly, but she is doing it! She totally "gets it", she is just having trouble with the fact that she is a mini-short-stack and the steps come up to her knees! Imagine climbing up and down steps as high as your knee...yeah she kicks arse! the leaps and bounds we have watched her progress in the last 6 weeks and I couldn't be more proud. But, I am also feeling very guilty for not believing in her as much as I should have. I struggle with getting my hopes up and being upset when she doesnt do what I think she should. So, I am at the other extreme where I completley underestimate her and that isn't good either.

So, yes, today is bittersweet because my baby girl is moving up to the next room at daycare right on schedule (a few weeks early even) but that means she really isnt a baby anymore. =(

BUT...
I COULDN'T BE MORE PROUD TO BE HER MOMMY RIGHT NOW!!!!! She has taught me so many things about life and how we should live it, I just need to listen more often!!!

1 comment:

datri said...

Great job getting her to where you want her to be! Sometimes our kids just need a little extra push. I think left to their own devices they'd just be happy to BE.